I’m Liz Nameth and, together with my husband Dave, we are Camping Up North!
We both grew up in the metro Milwaukee area. I had family that lived in Conover in Vilas County, Wisconsin, and I have loved the North Woods as long as I can remember. Spending weekends and summers with my up north cousins was the highlight of my childhood. I still remember getting out of the car as soon as we arrived and taking a deep breath of that wonderful pine-and-fern filled air. As soon as I could, I moved up north to the Rhinelander area and I have never looked back. I still regularly go outside just to take a deep breath of that wonderful smelling air.
I had the idea for Camping Up North several years ago while researching campgrounds. I was shocked at the shoddy quality of information available. I remember one website I read suggested that you visit Lake Gogebic during your stay in Lake Tomahawk. Lake Gogebic is in the upper peninsula of Michigan, about two hours away from Lake Tomahawk. I am guessing if one is building their website from halfway across the world and just looking at a map, the two could look somewhat close to each other? Maybe?!?
I only cover public campgrounds. My goal is to create one cohesive directory for all of the federal, state, county, and municipal campgrounds that dot these incredible woods. Sadly, some of the federal campgrounds are closing due to a lack of traffic. This is heartbreaking to me!
My goals for Camping Up North are to:
- Offer truly valuable and relevant information to help you make the best decision for your camping destination. I have had bad vacations because I chose the wrong campground. My goal is to help you make the right decision.
- Give you as much information as I can to help you choose the right camping gear for you.
- Share my favorite camping recipes, games and adventures with you.
- Make new friends! I love meeting new people.
- Offer a place for you to meet other campers, share your experiences & learn from theirs.
- Have fun!
Welcome to my little corner of the web. I hope I help you find the perfect campground for your next weekend away!
See you around the campfire,
Liz Nameth (and Dave, too!)